September 27th, 2018
Today we toured the 122,000 square foot new Laurier Brantford YMCA complex which has been built on the south side of Colborne Street, between Grand River Hall and the municipal parking walkway, opposite Harmony Square. This is the first YMCA in the country that has opened with a university for a fully integrated member and student experience.
Upon entering you realize the scope of the facility with it’s expansive, modern atrium. An inviting reception area greets you which has a convenient coffee bar slated for the near future. With views of the bright aquatic centre and large gymnasiums this facility is the ultimate in offering our community state-of-the-art health and fitness in a large, modern facility.
During our tour we viewed all of the levels which can be reached by stairs or elevator. Along the way there are convenient and accessible water bottle refill stations and bathrooms on all floors.
What you’ll find inside:
- Aquatics Centre with two tank pools for lane swimming, swim lessons, aquatic fitness and therapy, plus an on-deck hot tub for teaching, fitness, therapy and leisure
- 5 inclusive member change rooms which include Family/Special Needs, Adult General Male and Female, and Adult-Only Male and Female change rooms plus 4 team change rooms for Laurier Athletics and other special events
- Free two hour parking
- Child Minding to care for your children while you work on your health and fitness
- Youth Zone for recreational, social and leadership development programs
- Double gym designed for sports and competition with retractable stadium seating for 860 people plus taping and First Aid Room for event athletic therapists
- Single gym for drop-in sports and larger programs
- Fitness Centre with state-of-the-art stretching, small group training, cable machines and cardio equipment with wifi capabilities for fitness programs and access to apps such as Spotify and Netflix
- Health intake consultation rooms for specialized community-based health care programs in partnership with Hamilton Health Sciences and Brant Community Healthcare System
- Three studios for a large variety of group fitness classes, Cycle Fit and dance
- Multi-purpose spaces for social, educational and cultural programming
- 3,498 square foot strength area for strength equipment, pin loaded and free weights (2.5 to 100 lbs)
- 9437 sq. ft. fitness centre for cardio, stretching, small group training and cable machines.
- Student Lounge for group work and socialization
The centre will serve residents of Brantford, Brant County and Six Nations of the Grand River, the postsecondary institutions in the community, including Laurier and Conestoga College, as well as visitors.
Stop in for a tour and you will receive a one-week complimentary membership. That will give you plenty of opportunity to enjoy the sauna, steam rooms and pool. Not to mention the views from the treadmills of the pool and beyond to the Grand River. They’ve thought of everything!
Hours of Operation:
Monday to Thursday: 5:30am - 11pm
Friday: 5:30am - 10pm
Saturday: 7am - 9pm
Sunday: 8am - 5pm
Holiday Hours: 8am - 5pm (varies based on holiday)
Open 365 days a year
Check out our calendar for a full list of upcoming events at www.downtownbrantford.ca/calendar...and Discover Your Own Experience in Downtown Brantford!